Carlsbad High wrestling coach Joe Bach’s sophomore campaign proved no matter the unusual circumstances he will find a way to keep Caveman and Cavegirl wrestling dominant in the state of New Mexico.
In the COVID-19 pandemic shortened season Bach brought nine wrestlers to the 2021 New Mexico state wrestling tournament and left with six of them placing in the Top-6, also earning Carlsbad a 6th place finish as a team with 99 points.
Carlsbad’s six state placers included two sixth-place, a third, two seconds and one state champion in Class 5A.
Caveman junior Jacob Fuentes make good on his promise that he would claim a state title this year. Fuentes went 3-0 in the tournament with decision wins over all three opponents to finish the season a perfect 14-0.
Carlsbad senior Matthew Najera and Caveman senior Trystan “TJ” Rogers both came in second place in their respective divisions. Najera finishes the season 15-1.
Rogers finishes his senior campaign at Carlsbad with a 14-2 record and a 47-12 overall record in his two seasons wrestling at the varsity level. Rogers will wrestle collegiately next year for the University of Jamestown.
Carlsbad sophomore Marcus Najera accomplished his goal of finishing better than he did last season (5th) with a third-place finish. Najera ended the season with a 9-0 major decision victory to bring his record to 14-2.
Sophomore Jonathan Waters, who had no previous varsity experience before this season and was a wild-card tournament addition, took home sixth place. He won his first two matches via pinfall and finishes the season 8-8.
Junior Logan Romero finished in sixth place but sadly has to forfeit his final match of the tournament due to an injury he suffered in the previous match. Romero finishes 15-4 after repeating his sixth place finish for the second straight year.
Carlsbad results at state
- Rosalia Rubio (7-7), 100: Rubio (Carlsbad) def. Arianna Morales (West Mesa) via fall at 2:47; Alyssa Desillo (Las Cruces) def. Rubio via major decision, 10-1; Kiyah Padilla (Los Lunas) def. Rubio via fall at 2:20
- Marcus Najera (14-2), 106 – 3rd place: Najera (Carlsbad) def. Nathan Silva (Las Cruces) via fall at 2:44; Najera def. Damian Lucero (Cleveland) via major decision, 10-2; Marcus Williams (Rio Rancho) def. Najera via fall at 3:53; Najera def. Miguel Pena (Deming) via decision, 6-0; Najera def. Sevastian Madria (Capital) via major decision, 9-0
- Aiden Rodriguez (6-5), 113: Savino Delossantos (West Mesa) def. Rodriguez (Carlsbad) via fall at 5:57; Julian Jaramillo (Piedra Vista) def. Rodriguez via fall at 1:33
- Dallas Dunn (6-5), 120: Andres Jiron (Rio Rancho) def. Dunn (Carlsbad) via decision, 9-5; Dunn def. Dominic Duran (Piedra Vista) via major decision, 11-2; Roman Ulibarri (Capital) def. Dunn via fall at 3:57
- Logan Romero (15-4), 126 – 6th place: Romero (Carlsbad) def. Deshawn Geather (Eldorado) via fall at 1:17; Jeremiah Padilla (Santa Fe) def. Romero via fall at 1:06; Romero defeated Chase Kaufman (Mayfield) via injury; Romero defeated Joseph Garcia (Las Cruces) via fall at 1:17; Layne Kohn (Cibola) def. Romero via fall at 0:50; Geather def. Romero medical forfeit
- Luke Waters (8-8), 132 – 6th place: Miguel Padilla (Santa Fe) def. Waters (Carlsbad) via fall at 1:00; Waters def. Christophe Ochoa (Las Cruces) via fall at 3:00; Waters def. Isaiah Baca (Los Lunas) via decision, 5-3; Santiago Lopez (Albuquerque) def. Waters via fall at 0:20; Tyler Gabaldon (Cleveland) def. Waters via fall at 4:08
- Matthew Najera (15-1), 138 – 2nd place: Najera (Carlsbad) def. Angelo Padilla (Santa Fe) via decision, 9-4; Najera def. Naithan Gurule (Los Lunas) via decision, 5-2; Tye Barker (Centennial) def. Najera via decision, 7-4
- Trystan “TJ” Rogers (14-2), 170 – 2nd place: Rogers (Carlsbad) def. Ryan Cronrath (Manzano) via decision, 2-0; Rogers def. Josh Coon (Cleveland) via major decision, 15-4; Jacob Vialpando (Albuquerque) def. Rogers via major decision, 18-6
- Jacob Fuentes (14-0), 182 – state champion: Fuentes (Carlsbad) def. Joshua Perry (Cleveland) via decision, 6-1; Fuentes def. Kyle Baker (Piedra Vista) via decision, 6-5; Fuentes def. Elijah Martinez (Santa Fe) via decision, 9-8
Matthew Asher can be reached at 575-628-5524, [email protected] or @Caveman_Masher on Twitter.