Tuesday night the Carlsbad City Council accepted $3 million from the New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) to design, survey and map the land where a proposed bridge would span Dark Canyon at Radio Boulevard and Boyd Drive.
City of Carlsbad Deputy City Administrator KC Cass said it would cost $20 million to construct the bridge.
He said NMDOT agreed to fund the majority of the design work. The would pay a $150,000 match for the project.
Cass said the City of Carlsbad acquired the funding through the Local Government Road Fund and Capital Outlay (LGRF) through an application with the Southeast Regional Transportation Planning Organization (SERTPO).
SERTPO is part of the Southeast New Mexico Economic Development District (SNMEDD) which is made up of five counties and 21 municipalities.
Mike Abell, director of projects for the City of Carlsbad, briefed SERTPO members during a May meeting on the proposed bridge.
He said a man was killed during flooding last year while driving through a barricade at Boyd Drive and Radio Boulevard as public safety personnel dealt with flood waters flowing down from the Guadalupe Mountains, read minutes from the meeting.
At the meeting, Abell said the bridge would act as an alternate driving route for some Carlsbad residents.
“The problem Carlsbad’s had forever is that all of these semis (trucks) have to come down Pierce and Canal. These roads are not meant for this great big oilfield traffic. The more bypasses and alternative routes we have, and especially the ones that can carry semis and tractor trailers, is going to be great for Carlsbad,” said Ward 2 Carlsbad City Councilor Jeff Forrest.
“It will be nice to give that part of town a bridge. I think it’s going to be a big asset to Carlsbad,” Forrest added.
Cass said a construction date had not yet been chosen by the City of Carlsbad and NMDOT.
Mike Smith can be reached at 575-628-5546 or by email at [email protected] or @ArgusMichae on Twitter.